International Application Requirements
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS SEEKING CONSIDERATION FOR ADMISSION TO THE DEPARTMENT OF CURRICULUM AND TEACHING MUST SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
- Master’s degree or equivalent with at least a 3.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
- A complete International Student graduate application form submitted online including non-refundable application fee. Apply online at the KU Graduate Application site.
- An official transcript (not student's copy) that includes degree conferral, in a sealed, stamped envelope from the institution of all undergraduate and graduate studies. Official transcripts from an international university must include an English translation of all documents in addition to the official transcript in the original language. Applicants who graduated from a college or university in China must also include official Chinese and English versions of their diplomas and certificates.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) official general test scores (required minimum scores of 153 for the Verbal, 144 for the Quantitative and 4.0 for the General Analytical Writing sections). The GRE scores must be no older than five years prior to the application term.
- A statement of career goals describing how this degree will help meet professional aspirations and areas of interest in curriculum and instruction.
- Letters of recommendation from three people who can comment on the applicant’s ability to complete a doctoral program of study; the master's advisor is appropriate to include. The letters may be attached to the recommendation form that is submitted online.
- Writing sample: an article, paper or other composition originally written by the applicant. An appropriate length is eight to ten pages.
- A vitae or resume.
- For students whose first language is not English, official scores (not student’s copy) on the TOEFL of at least 92 total (IBT) with subscale scores of at least 23 in all areas must be submitted for consideration of admission to the Curriculum and Teaching Department. The IELTS official score is also accepted, with an overall score of at least 7.0, and no individual section score lower than 7.0. The TOEFL or IELTS scores must have been achieved not more than two years prior to the semester of first enrollment.
TOEFL/IELTS scores are not required if the applicant provides official documentation of graduation with a baccalaureate degree (or higher) earned in residence from an accredited English-medium U.S. college or university or a college or university in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, English-speaking province of Canada, or an English-speaking Caribbean country, with instruction conducted in English.
Degrees earned online may not be used to verify English proficiency.
- ALL international students are required to submit a STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT BALANCE from his or her sponsor's bank. This statement must be on bank stationery. There must also be a letter of support from his/her sponsor if the bank statement is not in the applicant's name.
Please note: Meeting minimum admission standards does not guarantee admission to the program.
PLEASE SUBMIT ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS ONLINE WITH YOUR APPLICATION, OR TO THE ADDRESS BELOW:University of Kansas
Office of Graduate Studies
213 Strong Hall
1450 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence KS 66045-7535