Middle Level Science Teacher Education Program at KU
Effective July 1, 2018: The School of Education will not be accepting applications for admission to the middle level science program during the 2018-2019 application cycles.
The bachelor's degree in middle level science teacher education at the University of Kansas School of Education prepares individuals to be teachers in fifth-grade through eighth-grade settings.
Benefits of the program include:
- Program Reputation - KU’s bachelor's degree in middle level science is offered through the KU School of Education, which recently ranked 8th in the nation was according to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Public Education Schools.
- Field Experiences, Early & Often - The teacher education program combines general education courses and professional education coursework with multiple field experiences at the middle level in rural, urban, and suburban communities.
- Dual Programming - Coursework fulfills the requirements for a bachelor's degree as well as initial teaching licensure in Kansas. It's a two-for-one program at KU!
- Kansas Teacher Service Scholarship - Science is identified as a hard-to-fill discipline, and students in the middle level science education program are eligible for available funding.
- Teacher Licensure Options - Students who successfully complete this program at KU may be eligible to take advantage of licensure endorsements options: TESOL or Special Education.
- Student Organizations & Networking - Students can actively participate in the Kansas National Education Association (KNEA), a unique, student-led organization dedicated to teacher quality, community outreach, and political action.
- Study Abroad - Program supports unique opportunities for students to acquire the knowledge, skills, & dispositions needed for culturally-responsive teaching. Learn more here.
- Nationally-accredited Program - The KU School of Education is accredited under the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) Standards through the CAEP Accreditation System.